Local History Books

More Kingston Public Library items in the Gift Store.

Images of America cover

Images of America: Kingston – $20

Looking for a little history lesson? Norman P. Tucker’s Images of America: Kingston is a richly illustrated history of the Town full of photographs from the Library’s Local History Room.

Civic Progress cover

Civic Progress and a History of her Industries – $25

Now available for the first time since 1926! Two books bound as one, Civic Progress by Sarah Bailey and and a History of her Industries, by Emily Drew together tell the story of Kingston.

Note that these are not reprints! They are originals, published in 1926 for the 200th anniversary of Kingston. The quality is generally excellent, although some binding staples may be lightly dusted with authentic, historical Kingston rust.

 

Summer Exhibit booklets created by the Local History Room and the Jones River Village Historical Society. All booklets are $10.

Cover of the 2004 summer exhibit booklet

Kingston Perspectives – A Trip through Time

The 2004 summer exhibit inaugurated a decade of collaboration between the Library’s Local History Room and the JRVHS. For this overview, Library Archivist Carrie Elliott  selected 76 images exemplifying Kingston’s notable people and exceptional houses, including the Major John Bradford House, the meeting place of the JRVHS.

Life on the River: The Flow of Kingston’s Industries

The 2005 summer exhibit took a comprehensive look at the history of fifteen water privileges on the Jones River and the industries they supported. Text and photos were selected and edited by former Kingston Public Library Archivist Carrie A. Elliott from the collections of the Society and Emily Fuller Drew.

Through Emily’s Eyes: the Photographs of Emily Fuller Drew

The 2006 summer exhibit showed a selection of photographs taken of Kingston by Emily Fuller Drew. A life-long town resident and dedicated historian, Drew photographed Kingston the early twentieth century.  Archivist Carrie A. Elliot researched and wrote the

Cover of the 2007 summer exhibit booklet

The Jones River Village Club 1909-1926

The 2007 summer exhibit explored the earliest years of the JRVHS, then known as the Jones River Village Club.  Produced by the Library and the Society in cooperation with the Plymouth Country Convention and Vistors Bureau, the booklet highlights the acquisition of the Major Bradford House by the group in 1921

The Jones River Village Historical Society Collections: Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow

The 2008 summer exhibit delved deep in the JRVHS collections, which are managed and made available to the public by the Library’s Local History Room. The papers include both records and publications created by the Society and a wonderfully esoteric selection f  historical documents collected by its members. Archivist Susan Aprill documented and detailed the collection through the 14  broad categories used to structure and describe the collection.

The Jones River Village Historical Society: Celebrating Our Centennial, 1909-2009

The 2009 exhibit marked the Society’s first century with an exploration of the  major “lines of work” undertaken by JRVHS members since the group’s start in 1909.  Archivist Susan Aprill  used the JRVHS collections to illustrate projects like conservation of natural resources, cultivation of land, education, “village improvement” and local history. The Bradford Homestead and the Society’s public and private events are also detailed.

Post Card Portraits of Rocky Nook

The 2010 summer exhibit showcased the neighborhood of Rocky Nook through a wonderful selection of early postcards. Drawing on the substantial collection of Kingston resident David Pepe — with additional materials from the family of Elaine Cox Sampson; Carolyn and George McSherry; Mary Hathaway; and the Library’s Local History Room — this volume captures the cottages, beaches, streets and people of the summer colony. Long-time Rocky Nook resident Arthur “Zuke” Mullaney contributed reminiscences and colorful captions; JRHVS President Norman P. Tucker added the preface; and Library Archivist Susan Aprill completed the design.

Nineteenth and Early Twentieth Century Yachting in Plymouth Bay

The 2011 summer exhibit told the story of local yachting a century ago. Ralph Calderaro, JRVHS Vice President, mined the collections of the Library’s Local History Room and Duxbury’s Drew Archival Library to create this portrait of the boat builders and owners, and the clubs and races that brought them together in a by-gone era of leisurely ease and fierce competion on the water.

“An Enduring Monument,” The Frederic C. Adams Public Library Building ~ An Architectural and Cultural Landmark

The 2012 summer exhibit celebrated Kingston’s Frederic C. Adams Public Library Building. Drawing on the rich text and photographic resources of the Library’s Local History Room, JRVHS Vice-President Ralph Calderaro presents a detailed look at the creation of  Kingston’s first library from the founding bequest in 1874 to opening in 1898.

Restoration of a Duxbury Catboat: Baclaju

The 2013 summer exhibit explored Kingston’s shipbuilding legacy in this a detailed account of the Society’s restoration of the George Shiverick catboat, the Baclaju with photographs by Marilyn Kozody and text by JRVHS Vice-President Ralph T. Calderaro and Joe Chetwynd.