Abram's Hill, located to the rear of the F. C. Adam's Public Library and above the Playground was named for Abraham Pierce who owned the land prior to 1640. Pierce was a black servant who arrived on the Anne with his employer William Pierce. Pierce granted Abraham land in 1623 and Abraham took residence there. Eventually he sold his land to Governor Bradford and moved to Duxbury with his family.

The little pond of water at the foot of Abram's Hill , and which played a part in history at the time Indians tried to burn the Major John Bradford House in 1676, was filled in and graded a few years ago when the new Community Playground was made. Originally a pine or cedar swamp, it had for many generations contained only a low scrub growth, and was simply known as The Frog-Pond.

Click here to return to the About Kingston page