Howland's Lane was laid out by the Town of Plymouth (while this was still a part of Plymouth) so that the Howland family could get out to the highway (Boston Road now Main Street) without trespassing on other men's lands. In earlier days, a road or path led through the Rocky Nook to the ferry at the mouth of Jones River, but after the bridges were built father upstream and the use of carts and wagons became more prevalent, the ferry route which was for fort passengers only, was less used. Paths ran in various unauthorized ways from the Howland farm and it became advisable to lay out a definite and accepted way. It dates from 1695.

Click here to return to the About Kingston page