In a post to the Kingston Town Locals group on Facebook , Will Perry described a recently uncovered 1810 document that describes the line between Pembroke and Kingston. It appears to be a “Notice of Perambulation” documenting a joint walk along the border by the Selectmen of both Towns. By law, Towns should perambulate every five years.
Early land descriptions can be tricky to read, but this map from the The Atlas of the Boundaries of the Town of Kingston shows the Pembroke-Kingston line as it was in 1899. Admittedly, that’s almost a century later, but the “corners” in the notice very likely correspond to stones 8, 9, 10, and 11 on the map. In the Atlas, stone 11 is described as W.M., a witness marker. This post has more information on Kingston’s boundaries and photographs of a couple of witness markers.
We the subscribers, Selectmen of the Towns of Pembroke and Kingston, having this day run and reviewed the line between the said Towns and find the corners and distances as follows. Viz
Beginning at a stake and stone by the Jones River Pond [Silver Lake] marked KP thence North 41 1/2 East 110 rods to a stake marked KP in the North-westerly corner of the land of Jedidiah Holmes, thence North 87 Degrees East 349 Rods to a stake and stones marked PK in the line between Jacob Fish and Zachary Fish, by a small run of water, thence South 69 Degrees East 108 rods to a stake and stones by Pine Brook marked KP in Duxbury line
December 14th 1810
Kilborn Whitman, [Isaac?] Hatch, Selectmen of Pembroke
John Faunces, Elisha Hall, Selectmen of Kingston
Source: Joseph Cushman Finney Papers MC11
Naval Constructor Melvin Simmons, born in Kingston on April 19, 1806, served as Master Carpenter for the first steam (or screw) frigate the USS Merrimack. Launched in June 1855 from the Charlestown Navy Yard, she was christened by Simmons’ daughter Mary Elizabeth, then 23.
When Virginia seceded from the Union in 1861, the US Navy burned the Merrimack, then trapped in Norfolk, to prevent her capture. A month later, the Confederates raised the hull, re-built her as the iron-clad ram CSS Virginia, and in 1862, sent her into battle with the Union’s iron-clad, the USS Monitor in Hampton Roads.
Simmons also served at Philadelphia Naval Yard, and ultimately returned to Charlestown as Naval Constructor in the Construction Corps of the Bureau of Construction and Repair. Created in 1866, the Corps gave former civilian employees a formal rank in the US Navy.
Simmons’ son Frederick, then an unmarried clerk, was drafted into the Union Army in 1863. He served in the 35th Infantry, until his death on January 1, 1865 in Salisbury, North Carolina.
Melvin Simmons died in Charlestown on May 13, 1871, of apoplexy. He is buried in the Forest Hills Cemetery beside his wife Mary A. (Chase) Simmons, who lived in Kingston at the time of her death on May 10, 1890.
Source: Glass Plate Negatives IC3, photo ID: peo-09-0747-gpn
“Elder’s Spring was the water supply for the house-holds of Isaac Allerton, the Mayflower Pilgrim, and of other occupants of the farm, until it came into possession of Elder Thomas Cushman, for whom the present name was given. The old spring was a lovely spot, shaded by huge willows, and boiling up from clean, white sand, a strong and steady flow. A generation ago, Mr. John Bagnell, to make a fish or duck pool, dug away the bank, cut down the willows, and so changed the surroundings of the spring, it is quite different from what it used to be.”
Source: Emily Fuller Drew Collection MC16; quote from her notes on place names in Kingston.
We only have a few of these, but they’re in the Local History exhbit case for a short time only. Stop by to see if you’re in a photo from the 1951 or 1952 Halloween party at Kingston Elementary School.
In 1917, Kingston also had a new community market, this one located at the Point, right where Summer Street splits from Main. The Old Colony Memorial on July 13 that year invited anyone with surplus food to join in.
No matter how small an amount you may have to sell, you are invited to bring it to the market. Products of the garden, dairy, poultry, etc. in fact, anything you are engaged in producing…
Part of the national effort to increase local food production as the nation entered the First World War, Kingston’s market was sponsored by the Grange, the Patriotic Society and the Food Production Committee of the Public Safety Commission. There was no charge for selling: vendors just had to show up with their wares.
Within the first week the market was open, 17-year-old diarist Helen Foster wrote that “things sure were stirring there.”
Source: Newspapers PC19; Mary Hathaway Collection MC21
Source: Emily Fuller Drew Collection MC16
Gray’s Beach Park is named for Edward Gray, who arrived in Plymoth Colony in the 1642 and eventually became one of the the richest men around. He owned land along what later became Kingston’s shoreline, including as this notable land record, the site of Kingston’s little beach.
And we know it’s Gray’s with an A, because, yes, it’s carved in stone.
This is Old Burial Hill in Plymouth, and Gray’s is one of the oldest marked stones there. The more legible of the two markers is actually a sign pointing to the original stone, which appears to be in some kind of protective frame. The related page on Find-a-Grave has some good modern close ups of the actual stone.
Source: The Jones River Village Historical Society Lantern Slide Collection IC4, series “The Pilgrim Story, Plymouth” 90 slides copyright A. S. Burbank, circa 1920.
Our distinguished and beloved Town Historian!
Source: MC11 Joseph Finney Collection