The Library’s Local History Collections (LHC) are housed in the Frey-Hoeg Historical Collections Room in the Adams Center, formerly the Frederic C. Adams Public Library, at 33 Summer Street.
The Collections are available by appointment. Please contact the Archivist at 781-831-6277 or firstname.lastname@example.org with any research requests. Thanks in advance for your patience!
Use the menu at right to navigate to the materials we have online, and for additional information about the Library’s historical materials.
Enjoy the latest posts from the Local History blog “Pique of the Week”.
- The devil is in the detailsEmily Fuller Drew wrote an extensive caption on the back of a print of this image: 1925 Lyman Cushman’s barns and shed on Elm St. Taken from the now Harper barn. A freshet tore down thro the valley, the Winter Meadow Brook and the canal which took its place, washing out ...Continue Reading
- Memorial DayDecoration Day, which we now know as Memorial Day, started in 1868. Kingston’s first documented observance was 1879, with formal Town funding starting in 1881. Stop by the Library to see photographs of Memorial Day parades dating back over a century. Source: Mary Hathaway Collection MC21Continue Reading
- Rock bowl?These two negatives have no accompanying information whatsoever, but the intriguing rock formation may be the result of the glaciers that covered the area about 23,000 years ago, and could well show one of the “punch bowls” Emily Fuller Drew wrote about in her 1933 notes on places around town. The Punch Bowls ...Continue Reading
- Well, well, well, that’s the PointOne of the many lantern slides collected by Emily Fuller Drew for the Jones River Village Historical Society, this image shows the Point, where Summer Street peels away from Main Street. It was the center of Kingston before the railroad came through. The index card of Emily’s notes on this slide reads: 20. ...Continue Reading
- New Old Business: Kingston Wants You!There’s a lot of talk about Kingston’s business community these days, so here’s a look at efforts 50 years back to bring new business to town. Published in 1965 by the Industrial Development Commission, this colorful pamphlet lays out the advantages of mid-20th century Kingston: a strategic historic location, efficient town ...Continue Reading
- Election returnsHere are the returns from 1820. Kingston’s 2015 town election is this Saturday, April 25. Be sure to vote! Source: Town House Attic Collection MC27 6.13 For more, visit the Kingston Public Library, and the Local History Room, and the full blog at piqueoftheweek.wordpress.com.Continue Reading
- GarageThis is one of those with little information attached; we have only what’s depicted in the image. It looks like it may have been taken between 1920, when the garage was built, and 1925, when the Fire Department moved the Surprise Hose Company in. The building at right was the second train ...Continue Reading
- Warmer weather’s coming (soon, we hope!)Time to scrape the barnacles off the hulls, check the lines and gear, and get the fleet ready for the season! Source: Emily Fuller Drew Collection MC16 For more, visit the Kingston Public Library, and the Local History Room, and the full blog at piqueoftheweek.wordpress.com.Continue Reading
- “This place will suit you.” Kingston’s first hotel, 1854-1970We’ve got a new exhibit in the Library lobby. Stop by and take a look. The spot where the Kingston Public Library stands was once the site of Kingston’s first hotel, built in 1854, just nine years after the Old Colony Railroad first chugged through town. Former boarding house proprietor Josiah ...Continue Reading
- The last Presidents Day (this December)Tomorrow, December 30, is the last Presidents Day here at the Library. We’ve had our letters from Franklin Delano Roosevelt, John Quincy Adams and Thomas Jefferson (who apparently didn’t have a middle name) on display for a few selected day this month, but this is the last time for a while. They’ll ...Continue Reading
- File under: What the…?Okay, it’s a business pitch to the Board of Selectmen, but what exactly is a lungmotor? Our friends at the Library of Congress can help! If you need to know more about the Lungmotor (like I did), the Boston company put out a whole book on their product. Popular Science reported on ...Continue Reading
- Evergreen Cemetery Pond84. Evergreen Cemetery Pond, 1876 Naturally a damp, spring spot. When cemetery was planned , the spot was drained and curbed as shown. Later the pines were cut down or broke down from winter ice, and the spot was landscaped. Mr. Edgar Reed gave the granite seat on the north ...Continue Reading
- Saturday’s cemetery tour postponedThe tour of Evergreen Cemetery planned by the Jones River Village Historical Society for this Saturday, October 4, has been postponed. As a small consolation, here are few interesting tombstones, headstones, gravestones, or as the Thesaurus of Graphic Materials from the Library of Congress would have it, Tombs & sepulchral monuments from Kingston’s ...Continue Reading
- Dam!The Elm Street dam may go the way of its upstream relative, the dam at Triphammer Falls just off Wapping Road, which was removed in 2011. The question of dam removal is a complex one, made doubly so in Kingston and other New England towns by the age of many of the dams. To find ...Continue Reading
- Happy Blog-a-versary, with bonus mapsThis blog started six years ago this week with this post. Thanks for reading! And it’s a great time to announce a new page Maps of Kingston on the Local History Room Online site, which (as the clever title suggests) has links to a nice bunch of maps of Kingston from 1795 ...Continue Reading
- Super suave!One of the most fun things about working in a local history collection is that sometimes people just show up with things to add to the collections. This week, a former member of the Kingston Mother’s Club dropped off three scrapbooks of Club activities 1965 to 1978, full of membership directories, ...Continue Reading
- Summertime, and vacation!Two summer-related announcements. First, the new exhibit in the LHR’s lobby display case featured selected images of Kingston summers gone by. Just as we do today, past Kingston residents and visitors enjoyed the warmth of the brief New England summers. Stop by and have a look! Second, the Local History Room will ...Continue Reading
- FishingThis is Emily Fuller Drew’s copy negative of a panel card probably taken by someone else sometime earlier. There’s not a lot more information about it: just two boys fishing in the pond that provided water power to C. Drew & Co., the long-lived Kingston tool manufacturer. (There’s a great deal ...Continue Reading
- Happy 4th!In 1910, Kingston’s first 4th of July parade rolled through town. More photos from this parade are here and here. Source: LHR General Image Collection IC7 For more, visit the Kingston Public Library, and the Local History Room, and the full blog at piqueoftheweek.wordpress.com.Continue Reading
- Name the Town of Kingston’s new boat!Kingston’s Town Administrator wrote yesterday As many of you know, the town is awaiting a new Harbormaster Patrol Boat, which is estimated to arrive around July 17th, and perhaps sooner. This purchase was authorized at this year’s special town meeting. The Board of Selectmen have offered a “contest” to name the boat for the ...Continue Reading