The Library’s Local History Collections (LHC) are housed in the Frey-Hoeg Historical Collections Room in the Adams Center, formerly the Frederic C. Adams Public Library, at 33 Summer Street.
The Collections are available by appointment. Please contact the Archivist at 781-831-6277 or firstname.lastname@example.org with any research requests. Thanks in advance for your patience!
Use the menu at right to navigate to the materials we have online, and for additional information about the Library’s historical materials.
Enjoy the latest posts from the Local History blog “Pique of the Week”.
- The Bradford House opens June 21There’s a reception! And an exhibit! Breakfasts start later in the summer. Check the Jones River Village Historical Society’s website for more information. Source: LHR General Image Collection IC7 For more, visit the Kingston Public Library, and the Local History Room, and the full blog at piqueoftheweek.wordpress.com.Continue Reading
- 111 years ago next Wednesday…The Liberty Bell came through Kingston! Yes, THAT Liberty Bell! And we have five glass plate negatives to help tell the tale. Between 1885 and 1915, the Bell gallivanted around the country — down to New Orleans, across to Chicago, all the way to California — on a special flatbed railcar. In 1903, ...Continue Reading
- Beach day!Sooner or later, summer will come. We’ll all be hot and sticky and we’ll welcome a cooling breeze near the waterfront. Just like this crew. Source: LHR General Image Collection IC7 For more, visit the Kingston Public Library, and the Local History Room, and the full blog at piqueoftheweek.wordpress.com.Continue Reading
- Memorial Day paradeAnother Memorial Day is upon us. Here are a few photos from the Local History Room collections which provide a glimpse of one of Kingston’s Memorial Day parades sometime before 1961.* *This date is based on a flag carried by the color guard, which reads “U.S.S. Des Moines.” This heavy cruiser was ...Continue Reading
- Fruit deliveryWho was Peanut Jack? There’s nothing in the Local History Room to help identify him, but the 1890 Plymouth and Kingston Directory gives us this. The 1909 Plymouth Directory has almost the same ad, but the proprietress in that version is a Mrs. M. D. Costa, exactly what we see printed on the tarp or ...Continue Reading
- Four-trunk elm treeThe four-trunk elm tree that stood on Main Street near Shirley Avenue was the stuff of childhood legend. The sidewalk ran underneath and between the trunks so that a daring kid could ride a bike straight through, and a real heroic type would do it no-hands style. The mighty tree fell victim ...Continue Reading
- Shady greenEmily Fuller Drew captured what feels like the deep cooling shade of a summer afternoon in these two photos. A familiar scene, yes, but the quality of the light makes something special of it. Source: Emily Fuller Drew Collection MC16, negatives scanned by the Digital Commonwealth/Boston Public Library. For more, visit the Kingston Public ...Continue Reading
- Asa Hammond and his houseAsa Cook Hammond (1826-1913) was a carpenter or housewright, who was born Pembroke, but lived in Kingston from around 1850 until his death. He married Amanda Clark, a dressmaker from Plympton in 1849; they had several children. Both are buried in the Evergreen Cemetery. Asa is identified as the figure in the foreground of the ...Continue Reading
- Twin lights at the GurnetThough not in town, the lighthouse at the Gurnet — formally known as the Plymouth Light Station — is familiar to many Kingstonians. The Massachusetts legislature authorized the first lighthouse on the Gurnet in 1768; it burned to the ground in 1801. The federal government replaced the original with a pair of towers, which served ...Continue Reading
- Read more books!Get more gold stars! Source: PC12 Schools Collection, Acc. 2014-2 For more, visit the Kingston Public Library, and the Local History Room, and the full blog at piqueoftheweek.wordpress.com.Continue Reading
- Clang, clang, clang went the trolleyFrom 1889 to 1928, trolleys ran through Kingston, every half hour or so, reaching Brockton to the west and Manomet to the east. The line was run by three companies in succession: the Plymouth & Kingston, the Brockton & Plymouth, and the Plymouth & Brockton (and if that last one ...Continue Reading
- Happy Thanksgiving dance!As a descendant of First Comers and an indefatigable researcher of their occupations, genealogies, land swaps and lawsuits, Emily Fuller Drew was perhaps more entitled than most to dress up like a Pilgrim. It certainly seems to have suited her. More Thanksgiving posts here and here and here and here! For more, visit ...Continue Reading
- Are you ready for some football…history?This month, the Local History exhibit case at the Kingston Public Library features a few football artifacts loaned to us by the Silver Lake Regional High School Library. Recently Coach John Montosi, who led the Lakers football team from 1960 to 1980, donated six scrapbooks to the school. These ...Continue Reading
- School DaysRing ring goes the bell The cook in the lunchroom ready to sell Chuck Berry — “School Days” For September’s lobby case exhibit, the Local History Room presents highlights from a great collection of photographs of Kingston Elementary School dating from 1952 to 1966. These class portraits and candid shots were collected by ...Continue Reading
- Roads…Here are a few from Emily Drew for you. For more, visit the Kingston Public Library, and the Local History Room, and the full blog piqueoftheweek.wordpress.com.Continue Reading
- Go Fourth and Parade!In 1910, the first of many Fourth of July parades rolled in Kingston. In honor of this most American holiday, here are a few views of one of our favorite floats from the inaugural year: the “Guardians of the Clam Flats.” Source: LHR General Images IC7 (top two); Hathaway Collection MC21 And now, ...Continue Reading
- LHR closed for vacationAhh, the thrill of vacation adventuring! While not going so far or daring so much this intrepid pair, LHR staff will be away next week (June 24 to 28). See you in July! Source: Stereoview Collection IC9 [a wonderful collection puchased by the Frederic C. Adams Library in the early 20th century, so Kingstonians ...Continue Reading
- Iconic Buildings of KingstonAs part of the celebrations for Kingston’s 275th anniversary in 2001, the Friends of the 275th commissioned a set of blocks depicting eight iconic Kingston buildings: the old Town House, the Center Primary school (now called the Faunce School), the Pumping Station, the passenger station (now the restaurant Solstice), the First ...Continue Reading
- Hot enough yet?Now that the summer weather has arrived, do you miss the snow? The glass plate negative above shows Main Street looking north to Linden Street, while the one below shows the opposite view south on Main near the intersection with Brook Street. Keep cool!Continue Reading
- The eagle has landed.Around 1946, the Town’s Honor Roll, which listed those Kingston residents who served in World War II, got an eagle. It was carved by Captain Fred Bailey, who fashioned at least two. When the Honor Roll was taken down — it was replaced by the monument where Main Street crosses Route ...Continue Reading